General Investigator is the police officer that handles criminal cases in a wide variety of police operational units. This investigator handles increasingly more technological related issues regarding the cases that he is required to solve and needs good cybercrime and digital forensics awareness Skills.
Investigating Officeris the police officer that handles criminal cases in a wide variety of police operational units. This investigating officer handles increasingly more technology related issues regarding the cases and therefore need to understand technology fundamentals and investigation of crimes using various technologies.
The basic level course for Investigation track shall help the Law Enforcement Agencies gain an understanding of following subjects:
- Different types of cyber-crimes and its evolution over the years.
- Modus operandi and usage of technologies to execute cyber-crimes.
- Identify the Do’s and Don’ts of cyber-crime investigation.
- What is digital evidence and analysis of digital Evidence.
- Legislation and policies related to cyber-crimes and digital evidence .
- How to preserve the integrity of digital evidence, admissibility of digital evidence in court of law and maintaining the chain of custody.
- Basics of the Internet, Surface, Deep and Darknet and Crypto Currency
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for investigation of MobileApplication related financial frauds.
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)for handling complaints from Cyber Crime Portal.
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)for investigation of Email-based crimes.
- Call-based crimes, investigation of day-to-day crimes using Call Data Record, Examination of Call Detail Record (CDR).
- Analysis of IPDR & ILD CDR for crime investigation .
- CCTV evidence collection – handling complaints, Seizure toolkit, documenting details, pre-evidence collection, do’s and don’ts, and the process to retrieve videos.
- Open-Source Intelligence (OSINT) and how to gather relevant information using social media analytics with the help of various open-source tools.
Investigating officers are responsible for investigating cybercrimes such as email frauds, scammers, social media related offences, offences involving audio/video footages etc. Officers in these cases are required to have sound knowledge related to the technology used by offenders to commit crimes.
The objective of this course is for Investigating Officers to gain an intermediate level knowledge of the following topics:-
- Investigation of Social Media Crimes like Cyber Stalking, Bullying, Fake Content etc and also understand Social Media Evidence Gathering.
- Investigation of Social Media Related Crimes for various Social Media Platforms like Facebook, Twitter etc.
- Investigation of YouTube Related Crimes including Platform Specifics and Legal Notice Preparation.
- Investigation of Fin-Tech Cases like ATM frauds, OTP frauds, OLX frauds etc.
- Tracking, Tracing and Trapping of Suspect or Criminals using Cyber Patrolling Methods and using GPS, Cell ID and other relevant Technologies.
- Understand Linux and Python as an Investigation Tools.
- Understanding and Interpretation of IT Act, IPC, CrPC and Indian Evidence Act and Role of various Cyber Agencies.
The prerequisite for this course is Investigation Track – Basic Level Course.